Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Action Verb Charades
Students will be able to identify and properly use active verbs.
- Have students gather in a circle.
- Tell them they will learn about active verbs. Active verbsAre words that show action. When used in a sentence, they describe what someone or something does.
- Discuss this concept with the students to add to their understanding.
- Tell them that today's lesson will involve a game of charades. They'll need to act out words without talking.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Choose an index card. Tell the students you are going to act out the word, and they have to guess what the word is.
- Demonstrate the verb, and wait for a correct guess.
- Repeat the activity again using another word card.
- Choose one of the words you acted out and use it in a sentence.
- Act it out again. Write the sentence on the board. Underline the active verb.
Guided practise(20 minutes)
- Find an area in the classroom that everyone can see. This is where the students will come to act out their word.
- Each time a student comes up, the other students will remain in their seats.
- The students will come up one at a time when their name is called and select an active verb card.
- Have each student act out his word. Remind students that they cannot talk; they're only allowed to make motions to help their classmates guess their word.
- Use the equity sticks so all students have a turn.
- If a student isn't familiar with the word he selects, whisper its meaning to him.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- After everyone has had a turn, tell the students to take out sheets of paper.
- Pass out the rest of cards to the students (at least two cards each).
- Instruct them to read the verbs on the cards, then write down a sentence using each word.
- Have them illustrate their sentences once they're done.
- Enrichment:Advanced students can also use their active verbs to write a short story.
- Support:Struggling students can work in pairs or small groups during Independent Working Time.
- Collect students' work after the exercise. Review it later to assess their understanding of the lesson content.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Allow volunteers to repeat the definition of an active verb.