Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
All About the Letter A!
Students will be able to write and recognise words that begin with the letter A.
- Write the uppercase and lowercase letter A on the board.
- Ask students to name the letters and the sound the letter makes.
- Say, “Right! This is the letter A! It makes two sounds. The short A makes the sound, AhLike in the word apple, and the long A says its name AyLike in the word ape.
- Tell the class that today they will get to learn even more words that begin with the letter A!
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Point to the letters on the board and demonstrate how to write both the uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Demonstrate thinking aloud a word that begins with the letter A such as ant. Then, show the students how you can draw a picture of an ant and label the drawing “ant." Write the uppercase and lowercase A above your drawing.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Tell students that they will get practise writing the uppercase letter A on the floor in front of them (model how to do this), then have them repeat this activity with the lowercase letter a.
- Ask the students to think of words that begin with the short A sound, like apple. Have them turn and talk to a partner to share words.
- Have pairs share their words with the class and record the words (with a small image) on the whiteboard.
- Repeat with long A words.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Explain that now students will get to choose one of the letter A words on the board to create an illustration of for a class A book. Demonstrate how students should write the uppercase and lowercase letter A above their illustrations (refer to your example on the board for reference).
- Pass out supplies to each student.
- Help students choose one of the letter A words to focus on for their page.
- Allow students additional practise forming the letter A using Writing the Letter a worksheet.
- Ask students to think of additional words that begin with the letter A to create a second page for the class book. Have students practise writing the words.
- Assess whether students are able to identify a word that begins with the letter A and that students can form the lowercase and uppercase letter A.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Gather the class back together and read through the class book.