Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Blending with S Blends
Students will be able to read and spell using “S” blends.
- Ask students if they have ever used a blender before. Ask students to describe what a blender does. Show a visual of a blender.
- Explain that when we mix ingredients in a blender, we combine them and make them smooth.
- Tell students that today they will make blended sounds.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Take the letter “S” and the letter “P” and tape them onto the visual of the blender. Explain that when the letters go in the blender their sounds become blended together and create a smooth sound.
- Outside of the blender the letter “S” makes the /s/ sound and P makes the /p/ sound. Together the they make /sp/
- Ask students to think of words that begin with /sp/ blend.
- Repeat the demonstration with other “s” blends. Make sure to list each blend on the board.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Give each student a list of the “s” blends you are working on. They may also copy them from the board.
- Have students brainstorm in pairs to list words beginning with those blends.
- Have students share with the group.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Tell students that they will practise building words with the “S” blends using the S Blends worksheet.
- Have students practise saying the word and identifying the blend.
- Enrichment:Have students find examples of “S” blends in their independent reading books or around the room.
- Support:Give students index cards with the blends written on them. practise saying each blend with the student. Have the student write one corresponding word for each blend on the back of the card as a reference.
- Circulate as students work.
- Collect worksheets to check for mastery.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Bring students together.
- Hold up or point to each blend and review making the sound.
- Have students share words they matched to each blend.