Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Understanding Character Traits, Understanding Plot Lesson Part III
Students will be able to recognise character traits and use these traits to compare and contrast main characters.
- Tell students to get out their workbooks and pencils and turn to page 9.
- Explain to your students that today they are going to be determining character traits from context clues.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read and complete pages 9 and 10 of the workbook with your class.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Instruct students to complete pages 11 and 12.
- Walk around the classroom, observing and helping as needed.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Instruct students to complete pages 13 and 14 independently.
- Students in need of support may work in small groups or one-on-one with the teacher. Students in need of support may create anchor charts to depict character traits for each character with the aid of a teacher.
- Have advanced students create anchor charts for each character.
- Grade pages 9–14 to check for student understanding.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Make sure that everyone has turned in their work.
- Review with the students the differences and similarities evident in the main characters they read about.