Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
EL Support Lesson
Students will be able to count, label, and order numbers from 0-10.
Students will be able to explain how to count, label, and order numbers using number labels.
- Gather the class together for a read aloud.
- Introduce the book, Click, Click, Splash, SplashBy Doreen Cronin and read it aloud.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(3 minutes)
- Say, "Now we are going to practise counting and putting numbers in order. OrderIs another way to say organise or to put things in a way that makes sense."
- Model counting from 1-10 in order using the precut numbered fish you created prior to the start of the lesson (can also use number cards if preferred). Hold up each fish 0-10 in order, say the number aloud, and then place on the board for students to see.
- Repeat this process, this time having the students echo count after you.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Tell the class that now they will get a chance to put the fish in order.
- Place the second set of numbered fish on the board (under the first set) in mixed up order.
- Ask the students to look at the numbers and turn to a partner to share the number that should go first. Then ask 1-2 pairs to share their thinking aloud. Have the rest of the class give a thumbs up if they agree or a thumbs down if they disagree.
- Repeat with the remaining numbered fish until they are correctly ordered from 1-10.
Group work time(15 minutes)
- Explain that now students will get a chance to make their own number fish, just like in the story.
- Model how to draw ten fish on the blue paper, then cut out the numbers from the Counting to Ten worksheet and glue the numbers onto your fish in order. When finished, show the students how to draw a line from 1-10 in order. practise counting your fish to check that they were ordered correctly.
- Ask students to turn and talk to share the directions with a partner in their own words.
- Review instructions:
- Draw ten fish
- Cut out numbers
- Glue numbers onto fish
- Draw a line from 1-10 in order
- Pass out materials and have students work independently.
Additional EL adaptations
- Work with a small group of students to order additional sets of number cards. As a group discuss strategies to order the numbers (number line, hundreds chart, song, etc).
- Have students mix up the number cards on their paper (without gluing them) and then trade with a partner to put back in order. Ask the pairs to share with each other how they organized the numbers.
- Provide number cards 1-20 and have students work together to put in order.
- Have students trade work with a partner to check that they ordered their fish from 1-10.
- Collect work samples to assess if students were able to label, order, and count their numbers correctly.
- Listen to students count aloud to assess ability to count to ten in order.
Review and closing(2 minutes)
- Gather the class back together and invite 2-3 students to share their picture with the class. Have the student point to the numbers 1-10 and as a group count chorally.