Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
It's Pattern Time
Students will be able to identify what a pattern is and predict what should come next in patterns. Students will be able to create an AB pattern.
- Tell students they will be learning about patterns today. Tell students that a PatternIs a design that repeats.
- Sing the pattern action song with the class:
Patterns happen all the time. It's pattern, pattern, pattern time. (Clap three times) It's something that happens over and over again. (Roll hands around each other)
- Sing the song first, only letting the class listen. Then encourage students to join in as you sing it again.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Call a few students to the front of the classroom.
- Demonstrate how to make a pattern by positioning students in various patterns. Such as boy, girl, boy, girl, or standing, bending, standing, or hands up, hands down, hands up.
- Encourage students to say what comes next in the pattern.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Place students in small groups.
- Give groups counters or blocks in two colors.
- Instruct them to work together to make an AB pattern.
- Discuss the patterns each group made.
- Reward them with praise if they complete the activity correctly.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Distribute one pipe cleaner to each student with a bowl of several beads in two different colors.
- Show students an example of a bracelet with an AB pattern.
- Tell students to make bracelets in an AB pattern by sliding beads on the pipe cleaner.
- Tie the completed bracelets on your students' hands.
- Have students play the Make Your Own Pattern Game
- Challenge students to use a specific number of beads on their bracelet to practise their counting skills.
- Scaffold students who are struggling while making their bracelets. Help them to place to correct colour that would come next.
- Check each bracelet as students complete them. Note if they placed the colors in a correct AB pattern.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask students what a pattern is.
- Choose a student to display their bracelet and say the pattern they made.