Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Students will be able to identify the letters and sounds needed to complete a word.
- Review the alphabet with students. Go through each Letter, or symbol in the alphabet, individually, and ask your class to repeat the Sounds, or noises, after you.
- Remind your students that each letter has a special sound.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- After reviewing the alphabet as a whole, pick the letter you are teaching for that day, and review the letter and sound with the students.
- Have the students tell you some words that start with the letter and/or sound you are teaching. For example, if you're working with the letter D, give example words such as DogAnd Mad.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- On the board or on a piece of chart paper, make a few sample words with the students. Choose CVC words such as BadAnd Red.
- Before this lesson, find a worksheet for your particular letter on Education.com. Worksheets that ask students to fill in the missing letters are especially helpful.
- Using that worksheet, review the first question or word on the worksheet.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- After reviewing the first word on the worksheet, have your students complete the remaining words on the worksheet.
- Enrichment:Make a worksheet for students to find the missing letter in the middle of the word rather then the beginning.
- Support:Direct your students to draw pictures that have the letter in the word.
- After the worksheet is completed, have your students work with a partner to come up with three new words that start with the letter you are teaching in this lesson.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Review the answers on the worksheet with the whole class.
- Take responses to questions by raised hands. Make sure to correct students who present wrong answers.