Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Magnetic Sight Words
Students will be able to identify and spell different sight words.
- Show students the sight word lists.
- Tell the students that today, they are going to review the words on the list and spell the words with magnets.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(15 minutes)
- Distribute the sight word lists.
- Pick up the baking pan and some magnet letters.
- Start at the top of any list and use the magnets to write the words on your baking pan.
- Have a volunteer read the words from your pan.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Have students pair up. Give each pair a baking pan and some magnetic letters.
- Have the students recount what you did in your model. This will help you check for understanding.
- Assign the students an area to sit in to work.
Independent working time(30 minutes)
- Have students complete the activity.
- Walk around and monitor the students as they complete the activity.
- Students will be working with their partner to build and read the words.
- Students will be taking turns during this activity.
- Enrichment:Advanced students can be asked to use different sight words to make sentences.
- Support:Help struggling students with sounding out the words on their lists.
- Work with each student and individually assess them based on how they represented each word.
- Students who complete one list can be given another.
- If time is limited, assess pairs instead of individual students.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have the students pick a word they had a hard time reading and write it down.