Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
My First Book
After finishing the lesson, students will be able to create their own first book using the sight words ("I," "See," "The"). Students will be able to read their books aloud to an adult or peer.
- Ask students, "How many of you have ever read a book by yourself? Please raise your hand."
- Say, "Today, we are going to write our own books and learn how to read them. Here are three words we are all going to use."
- Show the three sight words to the students.
- Say, "Raise your hand if you know any of these words."
- Select students to read the three sight words.
- Say, "I want everyone to repeat after me: I,See,The." Point to each word as you say it.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Have the students gather around the flip chart.
- Pre-select five different easily identifiable pictures to use in a class book. The book will have five pages in total.
- On each page write the sentence, "I see the ________."
- Randomly select a student to pick one of the five pictures.
- Collectively have the students complete the sentence. For example, "I see the dog."
- Paste the picture of a dog above the sentence on the page.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Have the students approach the flip chart in pairs or groups of three.
- Point to each word in the sentence and read it aloud.
- Have the students repeat the words after you.
- Repeat until everyone has had a turn to read aloud.
- Students should be familiar with the sight words; the picture will prompt them of the noun in each sentence.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Have the students work independently at their desks.
- Provide each student with three sheets of colored paper.
- Have them align all the sheets and fold them in half horizontally. They should then staple the sheet of paper at the top on the crease.
- Tell them to use the first page as the title page.
- Tell them to write the title "I See" and "by [their name]."
- At the bottom of each of the five pages, have students write the incomplete sentence: "I see the ________."
- Allow the students to cut and paste the pictures for all five pages.
- The teacher will complete the sentence with the word that represents the picture selected by the student.
- The sentences can be pre-written in advance with a space left to fill in the noun.
Enrichment:Allow advanced students to make longer books using more complex sentences, e.g. "I see the red hen."
- Support:Mass-produce the books for struggling students and allow them to colour in the pictures.
- Have a mini-conference with each student.
- Allow them to read their unique books to you.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Have the students come together and read the class book again.