Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Number Recognition 1-10
Students will be able to identify and write numbers one to ten.
- Have the students come together as a group.
- To motivate the students, begin by saying, "Today, we will be learning about numbers. Raise your hand if you know a number."
- Randomly select students to share the number they know. This taps into their prior knowledge.
- Write down the numbers that are shared on the board.
- Say, "I will share with you a poem by Mother Goose that uses all the numbers from one to ten."
- Read the poem One, Two, Buckle My Shoe.
- Have the students recite the poem after you.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Draw a large circle on your board.
- Place 10 magnetic shapes to the right of the circle.
- Explain to the students that there are no items in the circle. Nothing there represents the number zero. ZeroRepresents nothing at all.
- Move one magnetic shape into the circle, then write the number 1 above the circle. Have the students repeat, "one."
- Add another magnetic shape into the circle. Count one, two. Erase the 1 and write 2. Have the students repeat, "one, two."
- Repeat until all 10 magnetic shapes are in the circle, changing the number at the top of to reflect the number of items in the circle.
- Use your index finger to count all 10 magnetic shapes in the circle.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Have the students return to their desks.
- Each student should have a piece of construction paper and glue.
- Each student should have 55 beads, buttons, or foam shapes.
- Model the upcoming activity on the whiteboard using magnetic shapes.
- Make a list on the board: 1-10. Have the students copy you as you place the correct amount of items next to each number.
- Below is an example how the students' work should look. Each asterisk represents a bead, button, or foam shape.
1 * 2 ** 3 *** 4 **** 5 ***** 6 ****** 7 ******* 8 ******** 9 ********* 10 **********
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Provide each student with one of the Know Your Numbers 1 to 10 worksheets and a pencil.
- Read the instructions for section one.
- Allow the students a few minutes to complete section one.
- Read the instructions for section two.
- Allow the students a few minutes to complete section two.
- Read the instructions for section three.
- Allow the students a few minutes to complete section three.
- Collect the worksheets for grading.
- Enrichment:Give above level students the entire set of ten worksheets from Know Your Numbers 1 to 10. Allow them to complete these at their own pace.
- Support:Have struggling students complete the Number 1 Tracing worksheet during Independent Working Time for extra practise.
- Conduct mini-conferences with the students individually at your desk.
- Give them each a random amount of objects and ask them to use their index finger to count the items aloud.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Have the students come together on the floor in a circle in groups of 10.
- Assign a student to start and assign another student to end.
- Have the students count off 1 to 10 in each group.