Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
One Happy Classroom
Students will be able to create a classroom rule. Students will be able to write about themselves.
- Ask students to name one thing they like about themselves.
- Ask students to share how they treat their friends.
- Explain to students that today they will be learning more about their classmates and discuss how they can be a great friend in school.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read students the story The Rules. Have students discuss and create the classroom rules. Write these on a piece of chart paper.
- Ask students to name one thing about themselves that makes them a good friend.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Have students sit next to a peer and fill out the All About Me worksheet. They will need help following the directions.
- Have students stand up and share something about themselves that they put on the sheet and their drawing at the bottom.
- Now, have students state one thing they will do to be a good friend this year. After they tell you, write it on a piece of construction paper. Some examples may be to always be kind to their friends, to always be the first person to say hello, or to always share their toys.
Independent working time(10 minutes)
- Tell students they will now be creating their face! Students should use crayons to colour the white paper face cutout.
- Allow students to select yarn that matches their hair colour.
- Enrichment:Have students in need of enrichment help a friend complete their All About Me worksheet.
- Support:Pair students in need of support with a peer.
- Have students place all of their decorated faces on the table. Each student should select a face and guess which classmates it is. They can then say something nice about their friend.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Have students place the picture of their face and their classroom rule on a bulletin board. This will make them accountable for their rule!