Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Students will be able to identify pronouns and use them in their writing.
- Tell students that today we are going to learn about pronouns.
- Read aloud If You Were a Pronoun by Nancy Loewen.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Display the anchor chart.
- Read and discuss the information on the anchor chart.
- Write the following sentences on the board: Mom and Dad are best friends. Mom and I will be there.
- Have students look at the anchor chart and ask what pronoun could take the place of Mom and Dad (they).
- Ask students to identify which pronoun would take the place of Mom and I (we).
- Read aloud a few more sentences and have students replace the noun or nouns with a pronoun.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Place a copy of Pick the Pronoun worksheet on the document projector for everyone to see.
- Read aloud the first sentence and ask students to decide if the answer is "my" or "mine."
- Ask students to clap once if they think the answer is "my" and twice if they think the answer is "mine."
- Discuss the correct answer with the students.
- Repeat the exercise for each sentence.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Read aloud the directions at the top of the Pronoun Sentences worksheet.
- Have students complete the worksheet on their own.
- Enrichment:For advanced students, let them create sentences about a friend using pronouns.
- Support:For students in need of support, let them copy classmates' names from the board and replace them with pronouns.
- Collect students' Pronoun Sentences worksheets and review them later to assess students' understanding of the lesson content.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask a volunteer to explain what a pronoun is.
- Ask several volunteers to give an example of pronouns.
- Have students watch and sing the PronounsVideo.