Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Shake and Roll Vowels
Students will be able to find and sort words according to their vowel sounds.
- Tell the class we will be playing a dice game with vowel sounds.
- Review the different Long vowelSounds.
- Review the different Short vowelSounds.
- Introduce the concept of a Column, or vertical section. Contrast it with a row.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Ask a volunteer to assist you in showing the class the Shake and Roll Vowel game.
- Give the helper and yourself the long and short vowel sheets, books, magazines, newspaper, dice, and pencils.
- The shorter person goes first.
- Have your helper roll the die and look through the books, magazines, and newspapers to find a word that will fit the correct column the die has landed on.
- Have him write the word in the column, then take your turn.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Pair up the students.
- Make sure each student has a pencil and a hard surface to write on.
- Give each pair of students a few books, newspapers, and magazines.
- Pass out the Shake and Roll sheets.
- Have students start playing the Shake and Roll Vowel game.
Independent working time(5 minutes)
- Ask students to write a complete sentence on the back of each paper using one or more of the words they found.
- Enrichment:Have advanced students write a paragraph or short story using some of the words they found.
- Support:Cut and paste some words from newspapers and magazines onto sheets of paper. Give these sheets to students who need extra support.
- Observe students as they work, and assess their understanding based on how they play the game.
- Collect the worksheets after the activity. Review them later for further assessment.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Allow students to read aloud their sentences or short stories.