Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Students will be able to sort objects into proper categories.
- Show students the cover of A Pair Of Socks. Ask students if they ever help with folding laundry.
- Explain that when you match socks, it is because they are the same.
- Explain to students that today you will practise matching and sorting objects.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read students the story A Pair Of Socks.
- Have them play the game Spot the Swans.
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Explain to your students the purpose of the sorting centers around the room. (You'll need to set these up prior to the start of the lesson.)
- Centre 1: Students will be presented with a bucket of pom poms that are different colors and toilet paper rolls that are covered in different colored construction paper. They will use tweezers to pick up pom poms and drop them into the toilet paper rolls that correspond with the colors of the pom poms.
- Centre 2: Students will complete a bean bag toss. They must toss bean bags into the buckets that match the colors of the bean bags they are holding.
- Centre 3: Students will match pom poms, marbles, or bouncy balls to the corresponding water bottles based on colour.
Independent working time(30 minutes)
- Have students complete the activity at each centre independently. Walk around the room to make sure students are sorting and matching properly.
- Give them 10-15 minutes at each centre.
- Enrichment:Have advanced students work with struggling students during the sorting activities.
- *Support:For struggling students, model the activities before allowing them to begin working.
- Allow students to complete the Kitchen Sorting worksheet.
- Collect their worksheets and assess their responses.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Ask students to identify their favorite objects to sort.