Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
The Adventures of Leaf Man!
Students will be able to identify the colors of fall leaves.
- Show students the cover of Leaf Man.
- Ask the class what they think the picture on the cover is. Ask them to identify what Leaf Man is made of.
- Have students think of where Leaf Man has been. Does he go to school? Where does he live?
- Make note of the different colors, shapes, and sizes of each leaf that makes up Leaf Man with the help of your class.
- Tell students that today they will learn about Leaf Man, create their own Leaf Person, and then write about it!
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(30 minutes)
- Read students Leaf Man. Ask questions throughout the story to test comprehension. Have students identify animals that they see in the story.
- Tell students that you will be going on a nature walk! Have each student collect various leaves of different shapes and colors to use in their craft project.
Guided practise(15 minutes)
- Give each student a large piece of black construction paper. Allow students to pick a handful of leaves to glue together to create their own leaf man! Allow them to get creative! No matter the shape or size, when they are finished, glue on two googly eyes and draw a smile. If you chose, you can laminate them when they are finished.
- Ask students to name their Leaf Man and write it in white crayon on the bottom of their page.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Now, give each student a piece of Write and Draw paper. Chose a writing prompt for them to complete.
- Some examples include My Leaf Man loves to go to ______.And My Leaf Man went on an adventure to ______.
- Write the prompt for them and allow them to think of a word to go along with it! Have them copy the word from the board onto their paper.
- Enrichment:Have students complete a copy of the How Many Leaves? worksheet.
- Support:For students who have difficulty writing, write their describing word in highlighter and have them trace it with crayon.
- To test understanding of the colors of fall leaves, have students complete the Fall Leaves coloring sheet. Instruct them to colour the fall leaves the same colors as the ones they found outside today.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Have each student come to the front of the room to introduce their Leaf Man to the class. Have them share one fun fact about their Leaf Man.