Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Rhyming Words with Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
Students will be able to identify rhyming words.
- Begin by asking students to recite Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.
- Ask students if they can identify any Rhyming words. Remind students that rhyming words have the same ending sound. If students have difficulty identifying the rhyme, slowly repeat the rhyme, accentuating the words "star" and "are."
- Read the book Twinkle, Twinkle, Little StarBy Iza Trapani.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Read Twinkle, Twinkle, Little StarOff of the board, pointing to the words as you read. Fill in the blanks for "star" and "are" when you get to their places in the rhyme. Emphasize that "star" and "are" are the words that rhyme.
- Tell students that though we know the rhyme by memory, the words have written meaning too. Point to the words again, saying them aloud.
- Continue with the second part of the rhyme, repeating the steps above for the words "sky" and "high".
Guided practise(5 minutes)
- Ask students to help you find more rhymes.
- Give the students a word that rhymes with either star or sky, such as Pie, why, car, or far, and ask them which word pair the word rhymes with.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Distribute a Twinkle Twinkle rhyme sheet, star outline, glue stick, and a pair of scissors to each student.
- Have students cut out the star shape and glue the star to the rhyme sheet.
- Read the rhyme aloud as you point to each word. When you get to the blanks on the Twinkle Twinkle rhyme sheet, have students write the words "star" and "are".
- Have students decorate their stars with glitter glue.
- Enrichment:Have students write the entire rhyme by either copying or spelling the words phonetically.
- Support:Trace the words "star" and "are," then have students write over the traced words.
- Have students recite the rhyme to you. Help them point to each word as they say it with their finger to make the connection between spoken and printed word.
- Ask students what the rhyming words are.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Recite the rhyme as a whole class.
- Ask the students what the rhyming words are.