Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
What's That Word?
Students will be able to identify grade level sight words.
- Distribute copies of the sight word list.
- Review the words with the students, allowing them to read words with you if they know them.
- After reading the list, explain to the students that they are going to be the teacher for this activity.
- Explain to the students that each child will take turns with a partner to practise their sight words.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Pick a student from the class to help you model this activity.
- Play the teacher to show the class how to act as the teacher.
- Hold a highlighter and a copy of the sight word list.
- Sit with the student and tell him that you are going to practise his words with him.
- As the student reads the words, highlight the words he pronounces correctly.
- Explain this to the students, then switch roles with the student to show how to be the student for the activity.
Guided practise(10 minutes)
- Organise students into pairs.
- Allow them to ask you questions if they are unsure of what exactly to do.
- Give each student a number: 1 or 2.
- 1s will be teachers first.
Independent working time(30 minutes)
- Have students start the activity.
- Walk around the classroom and make sure the students are following the directions and doing the activity correctly.
- Allot enough time for both sides to be the teacher.
- Enrichment:Students who complete their quizzes early can make their own sight word lists on the backs of their sheets.
- Support:Pair struggling students with more advanced students for Independent Working Time. This will allow them to receive assistance from their partners if needed.
- Have students complete the Sight Word quiz.
- Collect students' quizzes once they finish. Review the quizzes later to assess students' understanding of the lesson content.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Go back and review the sight word list with the students.