Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Students will be able to compose dances to represent scenes from a text.
- Tell students what season it is. Ask what they like to do in this season.
- If it's not winter right now, ask students to share what they like to do in winter.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Read aloud Winter DanceBy Marion Dane Bauer.
- Ask students to turn and talk to a partner to retell what happens in the story.
- Have students think of one key detail that stands out to them. Ask students to share the detail they picked with a partner, explaining why they chose that detail.
- Call on a few students to share their key details with the class.
Guided practise(20 minutes)
- Pick one page of Winter DanceTo read aloud to students.
- After reading, brainstorm how you could represent what happens on the page using dance.
- Explain that dance can show stories through movements and facial expressions.
- Act out a dance that represents the page you selected.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Have students work in pairs to pick a page from Winter DanceTo represent as a dance.
- Encourage students to practise their dances enough times that they can remember the moves.
Support: Select a page for students to compose their dances to.
Enrichment:Have students create a visual representation of their dance, using pictures and words to detail each step.
- Assess how students represent the key details of the story through their dances.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on pairs to perform their dances.